A Chiropractic Treatment for Your Sore Neck and Headache
If you suffer from a sore neck or frequent headaches, you may have asked, “Can a chiropractic treatment help me feel better?” You are not alone. Nine out of 10 Americans suffer from headaches, a common reason for visiting the doctor’s office, and more than 250 million work days are lost each year due to them. They affect just about everyone at some point in their lives and can present themselves in many different ways. Some people experience a throbbing sensation inside their whole head, while others feel an ache in just one part of their head or behind their eyes.
Severe migraines can not only cause nausea but can be seriously debilitating. A headache could be either dull or sharp and can last for anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Though very few headaches have serious underlying causes, they can be bothersome and inconvenient. So what does a person suffering from a pounding headache do? Usually, they grit their teeth and carry on, or take an over-the-counter medication and hope it goes away. While medication may be a convenient temporary fix, prolonged use can cause adverse effects, such as kidney or liver damage. There is a better alternative. The question to ask is: “Can a chiropractic treatment help to relieve tension so that I can feel better?”
Triggers for Headache
Headaches can not only be triggered by many things, such as certain foods, loud noises, bright lights, changes in blood sugar levels, stress, etc., but they can also be caused by the inability to sleep well at night and excessive exercise. Approximately 5 percent of all headaches are warning signals caused by physical problems. The other 95 percent of headaches are primary headaches, such as tension, migraine, or cluster headaches associated with muscle tension in the neck. These days, people are far more sedentary than they used to be, with many hours being spent in one position, such as at a desk. This can increase joint irritation and muscle tension in the neck, scalp, and upper back, ultimately leading to tension, a sore neck, and a headache.
Can Chiropractic Treatment Help Me to Feel Better?
Chiropractic treatments are safe, gentle, and drug-free, and have helped millions of people who suffered from headaches. Chiropractors are medical professionals who are trained to analyze and correct disorders of the musculoskeletal and nervous system.
Chiropractic treatments involve what is called spinal manipulation or a spinal adjustment. In this procedure, the Chiropractor uses their hands or a special device to exert a careful, controlled pressure on one of the joints of the spine. In some cases, different joints of the body are also treated to help tension in the spine.
Several research studies have shown that chiropractic spinal adjustments are very effective for treating migraines and tension headaches. A report released by researchers in 2001 from the Duke University Evidence-Based Practice Center found that spinal manipulation performed by chiropractors resulted in almost instantaneous improvement for headaches originating in the neck. They also found that chiropractic treatments had fewer side effects and offered longer-lasting relief of tension headaches than commonly prescribed medication.
If you’re still asking, “Can a chiropractic treatment help to relieve tension so that I can feel better?” the answer is yes.
Each case is special and requires a detailed evaluation of a course of chiropractic treatment can be determined. However, if you suffer from a headache, a chiropractor can make adjustments to improve spinal function, alleviate the pressure and tension in the muscles of the neck and upper back, offer advice on posture, and show you exercises and relaxation techniques that can relieve recurring headaches.